Here are some helpful storage tips when it comes time to move into your self storage unit. Please use this section as a guide to safe and proper storage for your valued goods at home, in your attic, basement, garage, or at any one of our convenient self storage locations.
Take extra care when packing your boxes:
- Fill contains to capacity or fill extra space with packing materials.
- Pack heavy items in small boxes
- Label each box so that you can find what you need.
- Leave space to reach the back of the unit and place frequently used items near the front.
Your dining and / or living room:
- Wrap large lamp bases in padding and pad smaller lamps and put them in boxes.
- Pack delicate lamp shades separately.
- Pack mirrors, windows, and record albums on edge.
- Pack books flat and put boxes with books or papers on skids or pallets to prevent moisture absorption (from humidity).
Your kitchen and / or bathroom:
- Appliances should be clean and dry.
- Leave refrigerator or freezer doors ajar and free of food
- Some goods can be stored in appliances or stacked on top.
- Nest bowls and cups and stand plates on end. Fill all pockets with padding.
- Dishes and glassware boxes should have a layer of padding on top and on bottom, and each item should be wrapped.
Your bedroom, clothing, and furniture:
- Clothing, curtains, and drapes should be cleaned and stored on hangers.
- Stand sofas and mattresses on end and store on pallet or plastic sheet.
- Disassemble beds and tables and put them upside down on the floor.
- Stack boxes on dressers and use dressers to store delicate items.
Your attic, garage, and holiday/seasonal items:
- Pack outdoor furniture, seat cushions, and umbrellas in plastic.
- Save and use original holiday decoration cartons.
- Wrap Christmas lights around a piece of cardboard, and put packing paper or newsprint around all of this inside of the box.
- Metal objects like tools and bikes should be wiped with a rag containing machine oil to avoid rust.